November 29, 2008

Gisele Dupuis, 1926-2008

Some of you may have noticed a bit of a blog silence around here since last Friday. Well, last Saturday night we got the very sad news that my mother had passed away very suddenly earlier that day. I spent the last week in Montreal with my family, cleaning my mother's apartment with my sister, attending the funeral, buying a new suit and other assorted activities. And mostly being offline.

Needless to say, it's been a difficult time.

And the last day or so, as things have approached normalcy, I've struggled a bit with whether or not to mention my Mom's passing here. After all, I've tended to post very little of such a personal nature here and that's been on purpose. On the other hand, I've been very happy to be part of both the library and science online communities and have "met" (and/or met) many people here who I consider true friends. As such, I do feel that I can occasionally talk a little about what's going on in my personal life.

Besides, I asked my wife what she thought about me posting here and she said, "Sure! Your Mother would have gotten a kick out of being on the Internet!"

In any case, I'm including a great picture of my mother with my two sons below. It was taken about 18 months ago and really captures both her spirit and her love for her grandkids and, by extension, her whole family.

Some links: newspaper notice, online memorial, Kane & Fetterly funeral home, who were a great help to my sister and I through this whole process.

Please feel free to leave a note here, on Friendfeed or the online memorial site.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great picture.

May she rest in peace.

shwu said...

John, so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Jane said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts, and sending a virtual hug your way.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss, John.

John Dupuis said...

Anon, Jane, Shirley, CW, thanks for your thoughts.

cheryl said...

She sounds like a great woman. I'm sorry for your loss.

F. Tim Knight said...

hey John, sorry to hear about your mom ... sounds like she'll be deeply missed by all ... all the best for you and your family ....