June 22, 2008

Off to Pittsburgh

A bit later this afternoon I'll be hopping on a flight to Pittsburgh for the 2008 ASEE Annual Conference. I haven't been to an ASEE Annual Conference in a number of years so I'm really looking forward to this one. I've also never been to Pittsburgh so I'm looking forward to that too.

Since the program and social calendar at the conference are quite full and I'm coming back Wednesday evening, I'm not sure if I'll be blogging too much while I'm there. I'll try and post some short sessions summaries when I get back. As well, Friday is the One Big Library Unconference, so I'll have to hit the ground running for that.

If you're at ASEE and you see me in the hallways or in one of the sessions, please stop me and say "Hi!" As surprising as it constantly is to me that people actually read this blog, I do enjoy getting to meet all of you out there face to face.

4 comments:

Rach said...

I'm from pittsburgh. Go visit the strip district (during the day), the south side, or squirrel hill for fun. We also have kennywood, an amusement park, sandcastle, a water park and those are all near the waterfront, which is a nice place to shop. everything in pittsburgh is ok except the north side, the iffy area of the city, and the suburbs, which are deadly boring. hope you enjoy

Martin said...

If you have some spare time on your hand, take a look about this article from Wired http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-07/pb_theory/#/ about Google, science, petrabyte "clouds", etc. I looked through your powerpoint slides about "My Job in 10 Years" (I'm starting an MSIS degree program at University at Albany in NY so it was a great resource for me!) and thought this article echoed some of what you've been saying about google, etc. Let me know if it was helpful/interesting or whatever!

John Dupuis said...

Thanks, Rach. I'm back now. I didn't see much of the city, but what I did see I really enjoyed.

Mar, great minds think alike! I was actually reading the Wired article in the bus on the way to work this morning. It's a really interesting article with a lot of good ideas. Anderson's bits are a little dodgy, of course, as he seems to have a model of the world that he has to fit every single data point into. Oh, the irony.

John Dupuis said...

FYI, Deepak Singh lays the smackdown on Anderson better than I ever could.