November 5, 2007

Best Science Books 2007: Publisher's Weekly

Since the posts I did last year about 2006's best science books proved to be so popular, I'll do it again this year. Every time I see a list of best books I'll extract the science-y ones and highlight them here.

This time around (and the first in what will likely be a flood of year's best lists) is Publisher's Weekly's list:


  • How Doctors Think by Jerome Groopman
  • The Atomic Bazaar: The Rise of the Nuclear Poor by William Langewiesche
  • Storm World: Hurricanes, Politics, and the Battle over Global Warming by Chris Mooney
  • Arsenals of Folly: The Making of the Nuclear Arms Race by Richard Rhodes
  • Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain by Maryanne Wolf

And, in the list of breakout books, one that isn't really a scitech book but that seems geeky enough to be of interest to the science crowd:
  • Kings of New York: A Year Among the Geeks, Oddballs, and Geniuses Who Make Up America's Top High School Chess Team by Michael Weinreb

I haven't read any of these books yet but pretty well all of them look very interesting so I'm sure I'll be getting around to them in their paperback editions.

No comments: